Saturday 24 April 2010

Something Magical

Jake Gyllenhaal talks about Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain and magical time in his life.

***

Between courses at the Ravagh Persian Grill in Manhattan (his choice), he pulls out from under his T-shirt the two chains that hang around his neck. Each has a ring at its end - one is a black diamond, the other a pendant of Saint Genesius, patron saint of actors - and he starts rolling them between his fingers. But he almost seems alarmed when I ask about them, as though he hasn't been aware of what he has been doing. A diner from another table comes over.
"Can I say hi to you?" she asks.
"Yes, you can," he says.
"Oh, my gosh," she says. "You're my favorite."
"Oh no," he says. "Oh, don't say that. You say that to everybody."
"No!" she protests. "I love The Brokenback Mountain. I really did love it. I watched it three times."

Brokenback Mountain. Once she recedes, he turns to me and says, "You don't want to know the variations of that title." He tells me how, just the other day, a lawyer asked him how he got into acting at such a young age. "I think at first I was just ambitious," he says. "It was blind ambition. I wanted to be out there. I mean, I remember watching my sister up onstage doing South Pacific when we were kids and going, 'That looks like a fucking lot of fun.'" He debates with himself. "Was it attention? Probably, but I think it was more the magic. It's magic, some of what happens in movies. I mean, people asked me many times through the experience of Brokeback Mountain what that was like. And the best way I can describe it is what we all carry with ourselves from that experience, and why we feel so close. Forget all the awards that come, with people kind of adorning each other - it wasn't about that. There was something magical in that time. We all slept in our trailers out by a trailer park the first month of making that movie. I was sleeping next to Ang's trailer; Ang's trailer was next to Heath and Michelle's trailer - they'd kind of moved in together. And Michael Hausman, the producer, brought his Airstream trailer down. And it was just us, by this river, for a month. And we would walk to set, and we would eat together, and we would all make coffee in the morning, and I would wake up in the morning and there would be Ang Lee doing Tai Chi outside of my trailer, and it was just magical. It was just magical."

Jake and Heath on Brokeback Mountain set
To promote the movie, the cast appeared together on Oprah. For the first half of the show, it was just Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger fending off Winfrey's enthusiasm and curiosity. There is a sheen cast over the movie now - to some extent because of its subject matter but mostly because of Ledger's death - that leaves it and anything connected to it frozen, untouchable. So rewatching the two actors on Oprah, I was surprised to see Gyllenhaal alluding to times that the two of them didn't get on during the filming. Gyllenhaal seems surprised, too, when I mention this, as if he wasn't aware this was something he'd shared. But he remembers. The scene with the two of them by the river, for instance.

"Where Heath's character goes into how his father knew of two guys who lived together and he ended up seeing them killed and dead. I had always read it in a certain way. I heard it in my mind a certain way. And I had worked with these incredible actors like Dustin Hoffman and Susan Sarandon. When I worked with Dustin, he would always do things to me; in between a take, he would stop his lines, and he'd be like, 'You're a wonderful person,' or horrible things sometimes to jar me... getting a different response. And so I decided in this scene to gather the gumption" - this was when Ledger's part of the scene was being filmed and Gyllenhaal was off-camera - "and I don't subscribe to this really, changing lines on an actor, because I don't think I'm Dustin Hoffman, and I don't think I have the ability or the talent to do that to somebody. But I do think that changing intention sometimes on an actor when you're doing a scene when you're not on-camera is really interesting for them. But I did it at one point in this one scene, and I'd always heard it a certain way, so I was almost trying to move the scene to that place for him. He delivered the whole thing very, very straight, and he could feel me trying to do that, and I remember him getting really upset with me. And I remember him turning to Ang at the end of it and going, 'If he wants to tell me what to do, have him tell you'... We had these kind of exchanges, you know. But ultimately, the way I look at it was I was wrong, because he was brilliant. But at the same time I think, "Well, if I hadn't, would it have gone a certain way?" We balanced each other out. When I think about these things that happened then, we were very much alive in that movie. We were really living that movie. Not literally, but you think about those times in your life..."

One thing Gyllenhaal would do - feeding off the way Ledger had chosen to play the part of Ennis quietly, his teeth clenched - was to ask him in character, "What? What'd you say?" "Stupid me," Gyllenhaal comments now.

Did Heath never do anything that annoyed you?

"No. I always admired Heath. I always was kind of enamored by him, you know. I mean, yeah, sometimes it was hard to sit with him. He moved... He was a mover."

People have since suggested that he was really, really troubled by having to do all that promotion and campaigning. Was that your sense?

"Yeah. He was very sensitive. He didn't always really have a sense of performance in his everyday life. He was who he was. I think actors very often, they know how to present something, and that's part of their job. I think he was just really sensitive. We often used to do a lot of things together, because people were very interested in him and I think we felt safe together."

For example, he says that when he and Ledger had to introduce Ang Lee at the Directors Guild awards, Ledger refused point-blank to say anything jokey about Lee, as might have been expected at such an event. Their introduction was consequently so serious and earnest, says Gyllenhaal, that when Lee came up to the stage, he told them, "That was so gay."

Still, he also remembers how much they'd be laughing backstage at events: "For such a serious actor as Heath was, he was crazy funny. Dark funny, but funny." Out front, they came to be sobered by people's reactions, as they realized that the movie was bigger than all of them, bigger than they'd realized. Gyllenhaal tells me a strange thing about the filming, an experience he'd just rhapsodized about as so magical: "In retrospect, it just was a painful process." As though there's no reason why both memories should not be equally true. "I don't think any of us can watch it to this day," he says. "I remember talking to Michelle very recently and her being like, 'I didn't know if it was any good or not.'"

Afterward, he and Ledger stayed in close touch. "We'd talk a few times a month. I mean, he was a friend. He was like my creative partner." The news of Ledger's death came while Gyllenhaal was filming Brothers.

Could you make any sense of it at all?

A lengthy pause. "I don't really like talking about it. That period of time was... It was difficult."

What effect do you think it had on you?

"Even when we did Brokeback and stuff, it was like my work was the only thing that mattered to me. It was like I could only understand or define myself through doing that. Life, I didn't totally understand. And I think I was afraid of life. And I had success in my work, enough success that you could keep going back there. But after that happened... I think I recognized that it was work. And I recognized that this is for real."

"This" being life?

"It's for real."

What were you scared of?

"It seems to me that there are some people who go, 'All right, I'm grabbing the bull by the horns. Let's do this...,' and there are some people who it takes a while to figure out. It's an everyday struggle to be able to go, 'I'm going to follow my own instincts - I'm going to try and hear my own heart regardless...' We're getting pretty deep here. I mean, there are things that I want in my life. You can hide in your work, I guess I'm saying, or you can be alive and free and live in your work. You can pretend the people that you're going to work with for however many months are going to be the family that's going to be forever. But the truth is, they're not. And no matter what relationships you make along the way - which have been occasionally really, really influential in my life – ultimately I choose all the mishegoss, and all the complication and confusions of life, which takes courage and patience to sift through. Over the temporary moment of 'Oh, I'm comforted in the womb of this family.' I choose the other. I hate to say this, but - "Gyllenhaal smiles - "it's time to jump."

***

There is a famous scene in Brokeback Mountain where Ledger's and Gyllenhaal's characters jump together off a cliff into a river, both of them naked.

In reality, Ledger made the jump but Gyllenhaal did not. Originally the leap was to have been from a lower ledge, but Ledger wanted to go from right at the top. They were told how careful they would have to be, falling from that height, because they might hit the river's shallow bottom, and they were also warned of the hazards presented by the glacial water. Gyllenhaal realized he wasn't so sure about it. He had just been cast in Jarhead, and that shoot was starting soon. He knew that if he injured himself, he would lose the part. And he was comforted by a precedent: he remembered a story he had heard in his youth, about how Paul Newman, a family friend, hadn't actually made the leap in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. He decided to let a stand-in jump in his stead.

Brokeback Mountain shirts
I ask him whether Ledger didn't, after all they had been through together, say to him, "You're wimping out on this?"

"It's interesting - he never did say that. I would have loved for him to have said that."

Would it have made you feel bad?

"Maybe. Yeah, probably. But I was actually really, really proud of myself that I didn't do it. For me, it was a great triumph. You know, there's a pressure that people put on themselves to not trust their instincts. You know, show the stunt guys I can do it, prove it to this person, prove it to that person. Who do I need to prove it to? And Heath didn't do it for any of those reasons - he did it because he wanted to jump."

Do you at all regret not doing it now?

"Yeah. But that's me now."

***

Source: GQ, May 2010 - interviewed by Chris Heath

2,745 comments:

1 – 200 of 2745   Newer›   Newest»
Jackie said...

@
@ Previous post's comments
@

Ted and Lisa's Excellent Adventure said...

April 29th, 2008

After the photos were done, Lisa pulled a few things out of a large manila envelope she had been carrying with her all day. It was two photos, both from Brokeback Mountain, for him to sign, which Jake agreed to do wholeheartedly, saying, “No, problem.”

The first picture was Lisa’s all time favourite picture and it wasn’t even an actual scene from the movie but had been used in the jacket sleeve of the CD. It was the picture of Jake and Heath dressed as Jack and Ennis in between takes of a night scene on Brokeback, when Ennis had just returned after being tossed from the horse when he came upon the bear. Jack and Ennis or rather Jake and Heath are looking at each other laughing and smiling.

Jake and Heath

Lisa handed the picture to Jake and said, “This is my favourite picture from Brokeback, I don’t know why – well I do know why, because you’re both laughing at something and it is such a serious scene. I’m sure you don’t remember what it’s about.”

As Lisa was talking, Jake was holding the picture in both hands and looking down at it; he was obviously deep in thought. There was a pause and Lisa noticed Jake’s concentrated look at the picture and said, “Hmmmm...maybe you do remember?”

There was another short pause and Jake, still looking at the picture, said, “We filmed four night scenes that night. The one before this we were sitting with the meat hanging all around us on these tree rack things – Ang has some idea that we needed to show us with all this raw meat. Well, it was a really quick scene, I don’t even remember if it made it into the movie.”

Ted and Lisa both quickly said, “Yes, it did.”

“So you know which scene I’m talking about,” Jake continued, “well, we were sitting there eating these huge hunks of meat, gnawing on these bones, and we both just couldn’t stop laughing! Here are two guys eating big chunks of meat out in the wilderness – we both said to each other “how homo-erotic is that!” Anyways, Heath and I couldn’t stop laughing. Every scene we filmed as the night went on we just kept laughing about that! So, yeah that picture, this is us laughing again over the whole meat thing.”

UK said...

Friday Night With Jonathan Ross – May 2010

7th May – Jake Gyllenhaal

Maggie Gyllenhaal and Ramona: LaGuardia Ladies said...

Maggie Gyllenhaal and her adorable daughter, Ramona, catch a flight out of New York City’s LaGuardia Airport on Friday (April 23).

The 32-year-old actress and her Crazy Heart co-star, Jeff Bridges, were honored this week with Prism Awards!

The award recognizes actors, movies and TV shows that “accurately depict and bring attention to substance abuse and mental health issues,” according to the L.A. Times. Crazy Heart tells the story of an alcoholic singer and a woman who falls for him.

Just Jared

Anonymous said...

Posted on OMG by Stubborn TB

OT: Just read a quote from Maggie in the magazine "Angeleno".

When they pass a magazine rack that has covers about the Reeke split, she says the following:

"I don't even read the covers. I blur my eyes. It's a pretend version. It's not my brother. My mom used to read them, because she wanted to read about us. And I had to tell her: Don't, those are the magazines that chase us around and take our pictures."

LA said...

Cameronadamsxxx: Adam levine gwyneth paltrow and Jake gyllenhal are all at osteria mozza and Eric is blabbing away with them while I eat a stuffed rabbit lol
about 11 hours ago

Anonymous said...

Cameron Adams XXX? Eric is XXX too? Was Austin there?

Anonymous said...

Austin's with Sophia

Anonymous said...

LOL! Yeah, right.

Anonymous said...

From GQ:

I mean, people asked me many times through the experience of Brokeback Mountain what that was like. And the best way I can describe it is what we all carry with ourselves from that experience, and why we feel so close. Forget all the awards that come, with people kind of adorning each other - it wasn't about that. There was something magical in that time. We all slept in our trailers out by a trailer park the first month of making that movie. I was sleeping next to Ang's trailer; Ang's trailer was next to Heath and Michelle's trailer - they'd kind of moved in together. And Michael Hausman, the producer, brought his Airstream trailer down. And it was just us, by this river, for a month. And we would walk to set, and we would eat together, and we would all make coffee in the morning, and I would wake up in the morning and there would be Ang Lee doing Tai Chi outside of my trailer, and it was just magical. It was just magical."

As I read this again, it's so clear from Jake's words that Brokeback Mountain was NOT "just another movie" to Jake - or to anyone involved in it. It was a once-in-lifetime experience, which has always been obvious to me simply from watching the movie and knowing the reactions to it and the impact from it. But it was nice to see Jake affirm it. Someone should point that out to that mod over at the DC Lashers thread. The one that, for who knows what bizarre reason, was so desperate to try and make it sound like BBM was just another movie to Jake. Stupid.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Well he's not with Jake according to that twitter

Anonymous said...

Sorry 1:16 PM, but Austin's "this is my girlfriend" performance is quite bad.

1:25 PM said...

Happy Birthday Austin!

Anonymous said...

Well he's not with Jake according to that twitter

That twitter is about Jake meeting old friends, what Jake dating Austin has to do with it?

Anonymous said...

Read. All. Comments.

confused said...

1:37 PM, who was bad, what did he/she miss?

Anonymous said...

"what Jake dating Austin has to do with it?"

Well it's Jake's hubby's birthday. Austin must be in the SUV breastfeeding BT

Anonymous said...

Someone should point that out to that mod over at the DC Lashers thread.

Any masochists out there willing to volunteer? :)

Anonymous said...

LOL

Anonymous said...

Well it's Jake's hubby's birthday. Austin must be in the SUV breastfeeding BT

LOL

Anonymous said...

Well it's Jake's hubby's birthday.

That Osteria Mozza tweet is from last night / evening.

BT said...

I'm not a baby! *sulks*

Anonymous said...

That Osteria Mozza tweet is from last night / evening.

Yeah, but you'd think that after being away from each other for so long the first thing Jake would do as soon as he's back in LA is spending the evening with his boyfriend instead of out with some other people.

Anonymous said...

^^ spend

Adam, Gwyneth and Eric XXX said...

What are we, chopped liver?

Anonymous said...

Any masochists out there willing to volunteer? :)

LOL. Not me :) Now that I think about it, mods would probably use their all-powerful mod discretion and delete anything that challenged their all-powerful mod authority, but not before delivering one of their all-powerful mod lectures :)

Anonymous said...

Was Austin there with Jake, Adam, Gwyneth and Eric XXX?

Anonymous said...

"Was Austin there with Jake, Adam, Gwyneth and Eric XXX?"

Depends which blog you ask that question on!

Anonymous said...

Depends which blog you ask that question on!

LOL.

Anonymous said...

I blur my eyes. It's a pretend version. It's not my brother.

Maybe MG's referring to the Jake & Austin bike pics

Anonymous said...

No, because Maggie said that about "they pass a magazine rack that has covers about the Reeke split".

Anonymous said...

And Jake & Austin bike pics were never on the tabloid covers.

Anonymous said...

Maggie Gyllenhaal and her adorable daughter, Ramona, catch a flight out of New York City’s LaGuardia Airport on Friday (April 23).

Peter is filming Green Lantern in LA?

Anonymous said...

Was Austin there with Jake, Adam, Gwyneth and Eric XXX?

Yes! Duh!

Anonymous said...

LOL. Not me :)

Come on, you can do it :)

ha! said...

ONTD - Rihanna's Lesbian Lover Gets Her Tattoo

Anonymous said...

Dear 2:45 PM, I love optimists.

Jake and Anne said...

hotforwords: Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway eating breakfast next to me @blujamcafe
4 minutes ago

Anonymous said...

^^Seems they are friends IRL too. :)

Maggie and Peter said...

markfishkin: Uber-#NOLA Star Sighting: Maggie Gyllenhall & Peter Sarsgaard & kid walking into #jazzfest Mrs. Fish w/ the sighting #fb
about 2 hours ago

Anonymous said...

Jake catching up with friends, that's nice.

#NewOrleans #Jazzfest said...

Maggie and Peter sighting is from New Orleans.

Anonymous said...

Austin is probably in Austin, TX.

Anonymous said...

Jake catching up with friends, that's nice.

It is nice :) Good he can catch his breath for a moment before starting PoP promotion (to be honest, I'm already sick of hearing about PoP, lol).

Anonymous said...

Jake was also spotted a while back with "his child" at some museum. The blurb never said if it was a girl or boy.

Did Maggie and Peter fly out for Austin's birthday party?

Anonymous said...

Maggie and Peter are in New Orleans.

Anonymous said...

Jake was also spotted a while back with "his child" at some museum.

Yes, right, I forgot about that.

Anonymous said...

Peter is filming Green Lantern in LA?
Maggie and Peter sighting is from New Orleans.


Tomorrow (March 15th, 2010) marks the first official day of filming for director Martin Campell’s long-awaited 3D Green Lantern, starring Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan and Mark Strong as Sinestro.

http://www.collider.com/2010/03/14/green-lantern-begins-filming-tomorrow-in-new-orleans/

Jerry said...

(to be honest, I'm already sick of hearing about PoP, lol)

Bad fan, no shirtless Jake for you!

Anonymous said...

Jake catching up with friends, that's nice.

Adam, Gwyneth, Anne. :)
I felt he and Anne didn't really become friends after BBM, so I'm glad he got the chance to work with her again, because she is a good person and I feel she's someone who is fun to be friends with. I'm already looking forward to all the LAOD promo stuff. Hopefully the movie will premiere in one of the upcoming festivals.

Atticus said...

Don't forget a doggy bag!

Anonymous said...

I would say POP promotion is already under way. Who brushes out for multiple meals with other celebs--ones Jake is not usually sighted with--the minute they get home like this. Also trying to shown he's not with Austin. Pathetic.

Anonymous said...

What if Jake and Austin broke up? We wouldn't read in People magazine about that.

Anonymous said...

The one that, for who knows what bizarre reason, was so desperate to try and make it sound like BBM was just another movie to Jake. Stupid.

You just know LG, UV and her fellow babblers are pissed at what Jake said about Heath and BBM in GQ. Someone should send Jake a gift basket. :)

Atticus said...

Are there gift baskets with sausages and T-bone steaks?

Anonymous said...

Nah, Heath was too busy stuffing women.

I hope he had LOTS of fun doing that. And he deserved fun after trying to make it work with someone who was barely more than a rebound/convenient on set fuck, for the sake of the baby that she tried to trap him with. The last gal he was dating was Gemma Ward who he spent Christmas with and introduced her as his new gf to his family. And she was gorgeous and young and supposedly he was happy with her. :)

Anonymous said...

Gemma was his last gf BUT he was also banging lots of pick-ups and skanks before and after his Christmas break in 2007. He was a mess and his "happiness" with Gemma certainly didn't prevent him from overdosing/overmedicating--even if it was accidental.

fragile said...

Nothing and no one can protect you from bad luck and stupid mistakes.

Anonymous said...

Gemma was his last gf BUT he was also banging lots of pick-ups and skanks before and after his Christmas break in 2007.

He was probably just making up for lost time.

Anonymous said...

It's funny how Jake said that Michelle "kind of" moved to Heath's trailer, when during Oprah he said she did move in, not kind of. Maybe trying to make her look less like an easy girl? Since 2003 she had on set flings with Bobby Cannavale (Station Agent), Michael Showalter (The Baxter), Heath Ledger and Spike Joze (producer of Synechdoche N.Y.) The next will be either Ryan Gosling or an actor/director/producer from her next film.
Michelle and shy? My ass.

Anonymous said...

What if Jake and Austin broke up? We wouldn't read in People magazine about that.

I wonder too. If they broke up, I'd like to know if they remained friends.

Anonymous said...

And if they remained friends, will they hang out in public?

Anonymous said...

NicoleVich: Happy Birthday Austin Nichols! CANT WAIT FOR ONE TREE HILL MONDAY!!
about 1 hour ago

Anonymous said...

The_Gossip_Boy: Hi Tweeps! Everyone wish Austin Nichols a happy 30th! All down hill from there kid. :-D
about 5 hours ago

Anonymous said...

It's funny how Jake said that Michelle "kind of" moved to Heath's trailer, when during Oprah he said she did move in, not kind of.

Must have been weird for Jake to see that happening if Heath was someone he coveted for himself.

Anonymous said...

Must have been weird for Jake to see that happening if Heath was someone he coveted for himself.

The annoyed looks Jake gave her sometimes...I think he knew about Heath being unsure about his relationship with her, just like Gilliam knew.

I read on Showalter's and The Baxter imdb boards how Michelle was seen cuddling in bars and what not with Showalter during Baxter shoot (before she dumped him for Heath and didn't even do promo work for Baxter, cause the break up was ugly), same sightings we had of her with Heath during BBM. It's a pattern. I think she overdoes her shyness and likes to play the helpless girl. I think that's what made Heath interested in her (for a short time), he felt protective of her. From their last pictures together and from what he told Gilliam about her, he didn't seem to like her particularly much anymore.

Anonymous said...

We should't blame Michelle for being small and blond. Michelle sounds grown up and smart, I don't think she pretends to be shy and helpless.

Anonymous said...

Heath was probably glad to be rid of Michelle (he sure didn't waste ANY time to get back in the dating/hooking up game), the only problem was she held the access to Matilda whom Heath was crazy about. I believe what Gilliam said too.

Anonymous said...

You know, Michelle is that beautiful, quiet blonde with full lips and big boobs. She's someone who men want to protecet and sleep with at the same time and think she's an angel. But not everything is what it seems. I think she knows what she wants and is very ambitious and manipulative.

Remember that song from Elvis? "She looks like an angel, talkes like an angel, walks like an angel, but (Heath got wise ;)) she's a devil in disguise". ;)

Anonymous said...

Michelle sounds grown up and smart, I don't think she pretends to be shy and helpless.

As I've said, I'm sure she overdoes the shy and helpless thing for sure.

Anonymous said...

Atticus said...
Are there gift baskets with sausages and T-bone steaks?


Of course, Atti! Now, tell us what kind of goodies you think Daddy would like in his gift basket :)

Anonymous said...

I bet Daddy would like some sausages, too, extra-large. ;)

Anonymous said...

He was probably just making up for lost time."

He was screwing around on Michelle even when she was pregnant. I'll never forget there were several sightings of Heath (posted on gawker) making out with some tall attractive brunette (probably a model) at a movie (this is when Michelle was pregnant) and then later on, he was seen with that same brunette walking into her apartment building late at night.

Heath was gorgeous, charismatic and talented but...he was a dog.

Anonymous said...

Bad fan, no shirtless Jake for you!

We want him shirt- and pantsless.
Not only his torso is impressive, I bet his private parts are too. Just a hunch. ;)

Atticus said...

Of course, Atti! Now, tell us what kind of goodies you think Daddy would like in his gift basket :)

The Size Queen Gift Basket

Anonymous said...

4:59 PM # 1 - well, Michelle shouldn't have pulled that accidental pregnancy shit. I don't feel sorry for her, not one bit.

Anonymous said...

Heath was gorgeous, charismatic and talented but...he was a dog.

Well, no one is perfect.

Anonymous said...

Atticus said:
The Size Queen Gift Basket:
"Because every gay man loves a big basket"


LOL!

Dirty mind said...

little Jakey

Not bad, right? Can you imagine how impressive he is when he is sporting a boner? ;)

size queens said...

No, we can't! We bet little Jakey is always little! Maybe Jake can prove us wrong... *fingers crossed*

Anonymous said...

^^Damn why did he have to wear a merking for LAOD! *shakes head*

Anonymous said...

Well, Jake did have a lot of fun with merkins, he already talked twice about them :)

Merkins said...

And we had a lot of fun being so close to Jake jr.

Anonymous said...

Well, Jake did have a lot of fun with merkins, he already talked twice about them :)

A lot more fun than with the vayjay. ;)

Anonymous said...

5:54 PM, you are scaring little Jakey! lol

TGB said...

Dear Gossip Boy,
No holds barred? Well then I have to ask the multimillion dollar question.Are you in fact Jake Gyllenhaal? All of the clues add up and there is a whole community dedicated to the fact that you are. So?
Abril

Abril,
Do you think I haven't heard that before? Or been asked that before? If I was Jake, do you think I would tell you? And if I wasn't, why would I tell you either? Who doesn't love Jakey?

GB,
You tweeted happy 30th to Austin Nichols? Why would you do that unless you are Jake?
Frank

Frank,
So the only person who would say that is Jake Gyllenhaal? Really, dude?

The Gossip Boy

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Jackie. :)

Anonymous said...

SoCalDiesel: Just saw jake gylenhaal at blujam cafe on melrose!
about 5 hours ago

Anonymous said...

oh, ffs, someone would have to be dumb as a fucking box of rocks to actually believe TGB is Jake. "All the clues add up" - lmao! Yeah, the 'clues' that TGB himself writes!

Anonymous said...

Friday Night With Jonathan Ross
7th May – Jake Gyllenhaal


That should be fun :)

Anonymous said...

oh, ffs, someone would have to be dumb as a fucking box of rocks to actually believe TGB is Jake."

I think the same applies for anyone who would believe that Jake is secretly living in permanent domestic bliss with Austin and their invisible child. (And yes, I do believe Jake is gay but I don't believe that Austin is Jake's soulmate and that there is a Baby Tile).

Anonymous said...

Friday Night With Jonathan Ross

From 2007 :)

Jake and 4 Poofs and a Piano

Atticus said...

Heath was gorgeous, charismatic and talented but...he was a dog.

What? We could have played and rolled around and licked each other's butts and humped? Now you tell me. *cries*

credit said...

Mrs. Fish w/ the sighting

Good husband! He'll be getting some tonight!

Atticus said...

Jake was also spotted a while back with "his child" at some museum. The blurb never said if it was a girl or boy.

Well that's not fair just because I got fixed. I don't remember going to a museum but hey if 1 day was 7 days to you, you'd forget a lot too.

males of the world said...

banging lots of pick-ups and skanks

You say that like it's a bad thing.

LA said...

dammititstaken: Five celebrity spottings today, FIVE. Only one melted my heart, Jake Gyllenhaal. What a love.
12 minutes ago

old biddys said...

Michelle was seen cuddling

That whore.

double take said...

dammititstaken

dammtitstaken

Sandy said...

little Jakey
Can you imagine how impressive he is when he is sporting a boner?


big Jakey

Anonymous said...

^^^ Prince of LA: The Sands of Malibu

pipe said...

Why ride the waves when you can ride Jakey?

Anonymous said...

Because you don't want to be arrested for public indecency? :)

Anonymous said...

old biddys said...
Michelle was seen cuddling

That whore.


LMAO!

Anonymous said...

Atticus said...
Heath was gorgeous, charismatic and talented but...he was a dog.
What? We could have played and rolled around and licked each other's butts and humped? Now you tell me. *cries*


Awww, didn't you two do all that when you were in Calgary with Daddy? Atti, you're slipping!

Anonymous said...

Why does someone keep talking about Michelle here. Trying to keep the conversation off of Jake, Austin and Baby Tile?

So exactly where is this community that thinks Gossip Boy is Jake. GB writes in a lucid fashion. Jake rambles and talks in circles. No way he is GB.

Anonymous said...

"I'll never forget there were several sightings of Heath (posted on gawker) making out with some tall attractive brunette (probably a model)"
**
Link or .it. never.happened.

gawker 2005 said...

I saw Heath Ledger go into an apartment building on West 19th St. on Monday at around 3 A.M. He was with a woman I didn't recognize. She was tall with brown hair, very pretty all around. They stopped and kissed before they went into the building. Judging by the kiss they have a great deal of passion for each other.

http://gawker.com/114593/gawker-stalker-kate-moss-and-johnny-knoxville-pretend-not-to-notice-one-another

Anonymous said...

^^
Oh,shit! It happened!!

bad Heath... :(

Anonymous said...

I saw Heath Ledger go into an apartment building on West 19th St. on Monday at around 3 A.M. He was with a woman I didn't recognize. She was tall with brown hair, very pretty all around. They stopped and kissed before they went into the building. Judging by the kiss they have a great deal of passion for each other.

I remember that sighting as well.

When they were promoting BBM, Michelle was all like, Heath is the perfect "husband" (she actually called him husband), we live the perfect life etc... When in fact he probably couldn't wait to get rid of her (probably not long after they had the baby). Michelle is either naive and dumb as fuck or she was blindly, crazy, madly in love with Heath.

Anonymous said...

I think that Heath cared for her a lot. Maybe his feeling towards her got mixed with the love and the exciting for his new baby and later he couldn't carry on with the pressures that comes with "marriage".

Heath seemed like a guy that liked to show love and feel love in return. Perhaps Michelle thought that that kind of passion was reserved to her but the truth is that Heath was pretty much the same with all his girlfriends (according what they said about him,at least) when Heath started to show his true colors, Michelle finished the relationship and tried to protect her bb from all the mess that Heath was becoming.

I do think she got preg on purpose but i also believe she truly thought she could "save" him and make him happy.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't come as a surprise that Heath cheated on Michelle. His inability to stay faithful was hardly a secret before Michelle (no way she didn't know before she hooked up with him, no way!) and I never thought he looked that into her. If the pregnancy was a trap (and I think it was), as much as I dislike cheaters, I can't say I blame him.

Anonymous said...

but i also believe she truly thought she could "save" him and make him happy.

Yeah, but she didn't.

Anonymous said...

when Heath started to show his true colors, Michelle finished the relationship and tried to protect her bb from all the mess that Heath was becoming.

This was in 2005, the relationship ended in 2007, so what took her so long??

I think Michelle knew and ignored it because she thought Matilda would change Heath since she couldn't. He was wrong to cheat on her but so was she to get pregnant to hold on to him and then use the kid against him.

Anonymous said...

10:05 PM - true. Both are to blame.

Jake said...

I was just enamoured by Heath, but nothing happened. I promise.

Anonymous said...

Hey, what's one more to the bunch anyway? ;)

Anonymous said...

You people need to have a more romantic sight on things ;)

Jakey said...

I'm innocent!

Anonymous said...

LOL

Anonymous said...

"When they were promoting BBM, Michelle was all like, Heath is the perfect "husband" (she actually called him husband), we live the perfect life etc... When in fact he probably couldn't wait to get rid of her"


Actually, it was Heath who gushed on her about being the perfect mom and the perfect wife. I guess it suited him at the time to settle his heterosexuality.
Say what you want about Michelle but at least, it wasn't her the one who was cheating..

Anonymous said...

I think Michelle knew and ignored it because she thought Matilda would change Heath since she couldn't.

Would cheating with Jake be worse than cheating with random girls?

Anonymous said...

Oh, please Jake. If Heath would have looked cross-eyed on you, you'd be on your knees.

Anonymous said...

Jakey said...
I'm innocent!


LOL, oh god! Grabbing Heath's behind while Michelle was back home preggo? Shame on you, Jake!

Anonymous said...

Would cheating with Jake be worse than cheating with random girls?

No. Jake would be safe. Heath would never leave her for a guy, even if he fell for him. It'd be a scandal. He'd leave her for another woman if he fell for her. Most definitely.

Anonymous said...

Actually, it was Heath who gushed on her about being the perfect mom and the perfect wife.

He didn't say she was the perfect wife, he said she was the perfect mom. That's what he said when the cast of BBM was on Oprah's talk show. It's on youtube.

Say what you want about Michelle but at least, it wasn't her the one who was cheating..

According to Lainey she cheated on Heath with Ewan McGregor (sp?) on the set of Incendiary.

Anonymous said...

Oh,right... we believe in Lainey now?

Anonymous said...

According to Lainey she cheated on Heath with Ewan McGregor (sp?) on the set of Incendiary.

Ergo there is no reason to believe that it really happened.

Anonymous said...

Oh,right... we believe in Lainey now?

I didn't say what she said was the truth. You can choose to believe her or not.

Anonymous said...

BOTH Heath AND Michelle are to blame for the mess in their relationship, and that's that.

Anonymous said...

That Ewan McGregor is quite a slut, dont you think?

Anonymous said...

BOTH Heath AND Michelle are to blame for the mess in their relationship, and that's that.

ITA.

Anonymous said...

That Ewan McGregor is quite a slut, dont you think?

I do. I feel sorry for his wife.

Anonymous said...

Rumor has it that Ewan and his wife are known swingers and have an open marriage.

Anonymous said...

LOL, oh god! Grabbing Heath's behind while Michelle was back home preggo? Shame on you, Jake!

Jake made googly eyes at Heath even in front of Michelle. He was a bit arrogant about it and didn't seem to care that she was present.
I agree with the poster who said Jake seemed indifferent towards Michelle. But Michelle seemed to genuinely like Jake for whatever reason. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Rumor has it that Ewan and his wife are known swingers and have an open marriage.

Oh.

prairiegirl said...

I think the same applies for anyone who would believe that Jake is secretly living in permanent domestic bliss with Austin and their invisible child. (And yes, I do believe Jake is gay but I don't believe that Austin is Jake's soulmate and that there is a Baby Tile).

Hmmm, well I've been called worse. Dumb as an f'ing box of rocks. That's awesome, lol.

I'll gladly add that to my resume of pit bull and bully, to name a few. What a portfolio!

Because yeah. You better believe that I believe Jake & Austin have a binding relationship. They have one if not two kids. Actually, I believe there are two. And I believe they are together tonight celebrating Austin's birthday.

I believe all of that and so I guess that makes me a dumb box of f'ing rocks.

That's awesome. I'll take that any day and I would shout it from the rooftops, you better believe it.

Anonymous said...

8:50pm Why does someone keep talking about Michelle here. Trying to keep the conversation off of Jake, Austin and Baby Tile?

You guise talking about Michelle all the time are part of the conspiracy to divert attaention away from Jake, his breastfeeding hubby, and BT(s). STOP IT!

Anonymous said...

No. Jake would be safe. Heath would never leave her for a guy, even if he fell for him. It'd be a scandal. He'd leave her for another woman if he fell for her. Most definitely.

ITA. Even though it's highly, highly unlikely I wonder if anything ever happened between them, seeing as how Heath was not above going behind her back and Jake was enamored with him and had no problem batting his lashes at him right in front of Michelle. Hmm.

Anonymous said...

11:28 Dumb as an f'ing box of rocks.

If the shoe fits...

Anonymous said...

11:34 PM, I think everything is possible except that Jake has 2 hidden babies with Austin.

Anonymous said...

Unless Jake tells us, we'll never know 11:34 PM.

Anonymous said...

Never say never. Who would've thought a month ago that Jake would say he was enamored with Heath?! I sure as heck wasn't expecting it. We won't find out in the near future, but I think we will eventually, if there's anything to find out that is and we live long enough.

Anonymous said...

11:28 Dumb as an f'ing box of rocks.
If the shoe fits...


Be nice.

prairiegirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
prairiegirl said...

Whoops! Sorry,Jackie. I'll take down my post. Don't need to stir things up.

Atticus said...

Awww, didn't you two do all that when you were in Calgary with Daddy? Atti, you're slipping!

Hey I was a pup and still enamored with Jake.

Anonymous said...

I'm not 9:23, but one comment from some anonymous guy who claims to be a neighbor doesn't equal local yokels (plural) seeing them all "frequently out shopping and parading" in L.A. That's more than just a matter of semantics and I don't think it's nitpicking to point it out.

You ARE nitpicking. If you've been a longstanding follower of these stories you'd have known there have been a few posts of DL over the years of people claiming to have seen them out either together or as a unit wth baby.

I mean what are people like you expecting? 'local yokels' could mean more than ONE or a hundred. Why take offense at such a term!

Grow up and stop nitpicking. People like you are hugely tedious, latching onto one phrase.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Jake, how big is your penis when you get a hardon?

Anonymous said...

:)

Jake said...

No, no 8:28. It's supposed to be :O

8:28 AM said...

8-O Omigod!!! *faints*

Anonymous said...

Where are Jake and the birthday boy?

Have lunch with the cast of 'One Tree Hill' said...

Have you ever thought about what it would be like to actually hang out with the cast of One Tree Hill? The exciting auction will include many amazing items to bid on! Along with Zuniga, the One Tree Hill lunch will include her co-stars; Sophia Bush, Austin Nichols, Lisa Goldstein, and Allison Munn.

link

Anonymous said...

Now we have the opportunity to meet Austin and ask him about Jake and BT! :)

broken gaydar said...

lookin90874: First Lance Bass, now Ricky Martin, my future husbands are not working out for me.
18 minutes ago

Anonymous said...

I saw Heath Ledger go into an apartment building on West 19th St. on Monday at around 3 A.M. He was with a woman I didn't recognize. She was tall with brown hair, very pretty all around. They stopped and kissed before they went into the building. Judging by the kiss they have a great deal of passion for each other.

Can't you tell BS when you read it, 9:36PM? Believing a Gawker "sighting" is like believing in unicorns. Someone who hated Heath made this up. Only a rumor of a tall woman (not short, lol) and a brunette (lol) would be OBVIOUSLY ENOUGH not Michelle. *gasp* Plus only Heath kissing passionately before going into the building (so he could make sure all on the street would see he is cheatin' on poor Michelle) would make things CLEAR ENOUGH. LOL. This was written for morons. Transparent ploy to make him look bad.

Anonymous said...

If you've been a longstanding follower of these stories you'd have known there have been a few posts of DL over the years of people claiming to have seen them out either together or as a unit wth baby.

Please repost them. I've been here since the beginning and remember only one DL post about Jake, Austin and BT living in Malibu.

Anonymous said...

Where are Jake and the birthday boy?

Is it Atticus's b-day?

Anonymous said...

Austin's.

Anonymous said...

9:23 AM # 1 - Could be true or not. There's no way to know. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was true tbh.

Austin said...

Now we have the opportunity to meet Austin and ask him about Jake and BT!

*Fuck!*

9:40 said...

Also MW was pregnant at the time. How much fun is it to have sex with a pregnant woman? Many men are uncomfortable sleeping with their women in the later stages of pregnancy.

If Heath hooked up with that woman it was probably only for dirty, wild sex. ;)

Anonymous said...

Where are Jake and the birthday boy?

You know, it would be nice if we got a picture or a sighting of the guys again, if they are still friends and/or lovers that is. It's about time.

Anonymous said...

It is about time, but this is PoP promotion time so ...

Anonymous said...

So we are back to square one :)

Anonymous said...

ONTD - Neil Patrick Harris & How to Pick Up Women with Style

Anonymous said...

lol, 4:20, calm down. It's not a matter of being "offended." No need to get pissed off because your post was an exaggeration and someone questioned it.

Anonymous said...

If Jake and Austin aren't together anymore, who should Jake date?

Anonymous said...

"If Jake and Austin aren't together anymore, who should Jake date?"

My vote goes to James Franco.

Anonymous said...

Someone nice, smart and masculine.

Anonymous said...

Someone nice, smart, masculine and out.

Anonymous said...

Franco does look a little like Heath. Didn't he hang out with Jake a few years ago?

Anonymous said...

^^At the Oscar 2006 after party.

Anonymous said...

My vote goes to James Franco.

Two actors in the same closet? Doesn't sound like much fun.

Anonymous said...

lol, I don't think Jake "dates" guys - sounds more like he arranges to "hang out" with them :)

Anonymous said...

You think that Jake doesn't care about having someone special in his life?

Anonymous said...

GeekFromSaturn: "So yes, I’d ‘snog’ Tom Cruise. He is handsome." Thats a line from my made up interview with Jake Gyllenhaal for my coursework :P
7 minutes ago

Anonymous said...

If Jake and Austin aren't together anymore, who should Jake date?

I'm a Jake is bi believer.

Male: George Clooney

Female: Anne H.

Anonymous said...

Isn't George a bit too old for Jake?

Anonymous said...

Isn't George a bit too old for Jake?

I don't think he is too old for Jake. George is still hot and funny and charismatic. Jake could learn a lot from him. ;)

Anonymous said...

George as a friend and mentor - great. George as a boyfriend - not so great.

Anonymous said...

Can't think of anyone good enough for Jake! lol

Austin said...

Shut up!

Anonymous said...

9:23 AM # 1 - Could be true or not. There's no way to know. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was true tbh.

The Gawker item's innuendo was false. It came from the same "spies" who were whispering that Heath was "hooking up" with Helena Christensen (the transparently obvious brunette in that Gawker sighting, for those in the know) before/after he and Michelle broke up. It was part of the same smear campaign.

Helena, Josh Hartnett, Michael Stipe, Heath went to the same parties, were friends, hence the "reports". Helena finally had to deny having any "romance" (sex) with Heath in Sep 2007 and she issued another denial in 2009. It was a non-story. But knives were out for Heath and it was useful for gossips to spread that he was a rotten dog banging a cougar after leaving his innocent baby momma. Heath was the target of a lot of jealousy and tabloid bs (most of it Lainey-level crap - "anonymous" sources, "anonymous" spies - pure embellishment, pure bullcrap). If he had fucked even one-100th of the women he was supposed to have fucked, I'd be happy for him.

May 5 said...

DL gossip:

The gossip section of either today's NY Post or NY Daily News (I read them last night)specifically said a person you would never expect wil come out on May 5.

So it is happening and the quote specifically mentioned it is not an obvious one like Ricky, or Clay.

Jake said...

Can't think of anyone good enough for Jake! lol

I am fab, aren't I? Finally someone who understands what a trial it is to be the most perfect man ever!

Anonymous said...

But knives were out for Heath and it was useful for gossips to spread that he was a rotten dog banging a cougar after leaving his innocent baby momma.

Well it doesn't really look better hooking up with a barely out of her teens, babyfaced model (Gemma) after leaving his baby mama.
But I'm doubtful about Helena too. Heath liked tender blondes, Helena is a hard faced uggo.

Anonymous said...

May 5 said...
DL gossip:
The gossip section of either today's NY Post or NY Daily News (I read them last night)specifically said a person you would never expect wil come out on May 5.
So it is happening and the quote specifically mentioned it is not an obvious one like Ricky, or Clay.


Hmm, but not obvious to whom? Maybe not obvious to the general public, but I'd be very surprised if anyone who frequents this blog is going to be surprised on May 5. The fact that "The View" has been specifically mentioned makes me think a woman, and that makes me think Queen Latifah - but that's just a guess. I'd like to be surprised, though :) (That doesn't mean Jake - I think there is zero possibility it will be him).

Anonymous said...

If Jake and Austin aren't together anymore, who should Jake date?

Ricky. Just imagine - Ricky, Jake, BT, Valentino, Matteo and Atticus! :)

Anonymous said...

"Bob [Dylan] is not authentic at all. He's a plagiarist, and his name and voice are fake. Everything about Bob is a deception. We are like night and day, he and I. Americans have decided to be stupid and shallow since 1980. Madonna is like Nero; she marks the turning point."
~Joni Mitchell

Wow. "I'm Not There" was about the many faces and deceptions of Dylan, too, albeit a much more respectful take on the issue.

For the poster who wrote "It's confusing, all these different Jake's", you better hope Jake doesn't have a Joni Mitchell in his future!

Atticus said...

Ricky. Just imagine - Ricky, Jake, BT, Valentino, Matteo and Atticus! :)

For the love of God, No! No more goddamn kids!

Ricky said...

Bad dog!

Anonymous said...

Not to stirr controversy. But why did Jake seem annoyed with paparazzi even with Reese when we presume it was all arranged? Why didn't he pretend he's happy? That's something I always wondered about, he seemed not pleased with papz even almost from the very start of Reeke. I mean, you want to present a certain image and arrange ops, then act accordingly. Don't you think?

Anonymous said...

^^I know some said he acted as if he was annoyed, but how strange is that?

Anonymous said...

"acted annoyed", it was an act IMO

Anonymous said...

But why did Jake seem annoyed with paparazzi even with Reese when we presume it was all arranged?

Most of the times Jake and the beard were posing and smiling for paparazzi. But Jake is just human, can't pretend all the time, so when he was frustrated and pissed with the beard he lashed out at paparazzi.

Anonymous said...

"But why did Jake seem annoyed with paparazzi even with Reese when we presume it was all arranged?"

The looking annoyed faces was also part of their act. You know, they had the whole "the paps are so intrusive, we are just trying to be normal and do our thing quietly" act. This was so they could say the paps just follow us everywhere all the time.

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 2745   Newer› Newest»